Saturday, January 3, 2015

Don't worry....be happy!

We have a finite ability for a context for our viewpoint.  We can't see many things at the same time.  So with this knowledge and with the realisation that I can direct my vision and input, I know that if I am feeling down it is because I have focused my lens on the unfortunate versus the fortunate.




Life will happen.  "Bad" stuff comes our way - and I am not suggesting to avoid it - just to recover quickly by refocusing on the beautiful.  The only time focus needs to be on the negative is when actionable change is necessary.

An example would be, "I am overweight so I need to focus on eating healthier for my body."  Or "I have a cold so I need to take Vitamin C."  Or, "I need to get out of this toxic relationship."

But in general, we need to keep our attention on the wonderful! Because whatever you focus on expands!

As an example, when you awaken in the morning, you can choose to focus on your aches and pains, or the deep beautiful breath that you are able to take.  Feeling grateful for breath is an easily accessible happy moment that anyone of us can take at any moment - wherever we are! Most of us don't even appreciate our breath even though it is the biggest gift that we have: Being alive.  


Pleasure does take place in the thinking or brain part of the body.  It is in the body through the senses.  Even when you have a pleasing thought, it is the body sensation that brings that thought to remembered physical memory.

So if you want to feel happy and turned on to life, the first step is with quieting your mind or directing it to positive thinking so that you can divert the attention of your senses.  To me, being able to be completely present in the moment, that is where spirituality lies.  So, being in your body instead of in the past or future which would be in your mind is the way to pure BLISS.


Here is a quick and easy exercise to be present.  If you are feeling fearful, resentful, envious, anger or any other negative feeling, pick one of your five senses and do something of pleasure for it.

Sight

Sound

Taste

Touch

Smell 


As I think of the religious schools I went to, I realise that many of the traditions where to help you get present.  Beautiful stained glass windows.  Songs.  The bread and the wine.  Holding hands.  Burning of incense.  It doesn't surprise me that these ancient traditions were put into place to help us.  However in this ever busier world, with text, e-mail and appointments to distract us from being in the moment, it is most important to consciously bring ourselves back to our body!

No comments:

Post a Comment