Just think and then speak? Well no.
Before you part your lips, remember this, you can never take back what you say. You say it, and it's out, like chocolate sprinkles poured out from a tub onto the counter, no amount of hard work could undo all of the spill.
So, before you speak, perhaps consider:
- Is what you are saying to hurt another?
- Are you gossiping?
- Will your words add value or be a contribution?
- Are you talking to manipulate a situation?
- Are you just trying to prove that you are right?
- Will your sentence improve upon the silence?
- Are you sure that you want to say that?
- Do you really mean it?
- If it was printed on the first page of the newspaper as a quote would you stand behind it? Be proud of it?